The Leader in Flame-Resistant Protection
For more than 30 years, protective apparel made from DuPont™ NOMEX® brand fiber has provided superior thermal protection from flames, flash fires and electric arcs. The unique molecular structure of NOMEX® makes it inherently flame resistant. Garments of NOMEX® protect workers in the petroleum, petrochemical, chemical, and electric and gas utility industries. Professional firefighters, racecar drivers, U.S. military personnel and NASA astronauts also wear garments of NOMEX®.
Unmatched Thermal Performance
The effectiveness of NOMEX® has been proven and documented in laboratories, field tests and real-life flash fire and electric arc situations. Garments of NOMEX® consistently provide outstanding thermal performance because NOMEX® IIIA:
- Is inherently flame resistant.
- Inherent thermal protection that cannot be washed away.
- Durable and resistant to abrasion, tears, and chemicals.
- Does not burn or melt and drip.
- Provides permanent protection that won’t wash out or wear away.
- Minimizes break-open and maintains a stable, inert barrier between the fire/arc and skin, protecting the wearer from direct exposure.
- Forms a tough, protective char when exposed to flame, and stays supple until it cools.
- Meets the NFPA 1975 for firefighters’ stationwear.
- Meets the ASTM F1506 standard for workers’ apparel as protection from electric arc exposure.
- Complies with NFPA 70E Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace
- Complies with NFPA 2112 Standard on Flame-Resistant Garments for Protection of Industrial Personnel Against Flash Fire
- Widely used by petroleum, petrochemical, chemical, and utility industries, as well as firefighters.
Durability and Cost Effectiveness
Garments made with NOMEX® thermal technology are extremely durable and resist abrasion, tears and chemicals. They’re also an excellent value, lasting three to five times longer than other standard and protective fabrics, including 100% cotton and flame-retardant treated (FRT) cotton. In lease, rental and purchase programs, the out-standing wear life of garments of NOMEX® IIIA can contribute to bottom-line savings.
Workers must be constantly aware of static electricity hazards and must use proper grounding procedures, both for themselves and equipment. As an added margin of safety, garments of DuPont™ NOMEX® IIIA reduce the clothing’s contribution to static charge buildup on the body. NOMEX® IIIA is made with a static-dissipative fiber, which reduces the static generated in both fabric-to-fabric and fabric-to-surface rubbing, even in low humidities. NOMEX® IIIA also reduces static cling, which makes the garment more comfortable to wear.
Garments of NOMEX® are as comfortable to wear as other work clothing. Lightweight, breathable fabrics of NOMEX® brand fiber are designed to transport moisture away from the skin, which helps wearers feel cool and dry. Side-by-side wear tests show that fabric weight is the single greatest factor in controlling garment comfort, and that the lightweight comfort fo NOMEX® is often preferred over other protective fabrics. In addition, protection apparel of NOMEX® is available in a variety of fabric weights to suit any climate.
Flame-resistant protective apparel of NOMEX® combines style and functionality with a professional appearance. NOMEX® is available in a wide range of colors and garment styles, including jackets, parkas, slacks, jeans, shirts, polar fleece and switching coats.
Garments of NOMEX® are easy to launder and rarely need pressing. Normal home or commercial laundering and dry cleaning techniques provide good results. The protection is permanent and cannot be washed out or worn away.